Last week did not go nearly as well as I thought it would, but I'll get into that shortly.
With regard to last week, I realized on wednesday night that my word count was probably waaay too high. I found this gem of a document (will open a .pdf) and I did some comparing to where I wanted my book to be and the word count of some other books that I had on hand. For example, The BFG is 44k words and it's a decent sized book. The Ramona Quimby books are more my age range and along the size I have in my mind, so...the one I'm working on should probably be around 20k words. From what I've read of publishing expectations for first time authors, it's low, but you know what...f I tell my story and i tell it well, then word count may not be as big a factor as some say. So we'll see.
As for where my word count is now. It's not too much higher than last Monday. Leaky pipes, all day repairs and other despicable house work saw to that. So this week I have my work cut out for me.
So for now it's back to work. Later on this week I'll update you on my reading habits, and, I promise...tomorrow I'll tackle the post explaining my choice of genre.
Happy writing. :)