03 February 2011

I am told that to write, you must read

I've shared with a few of you that I don't typically read. For a writer, that seems to be hypocritical. And from what I hear, it's suicide. The simplest comparison I can make is that it is like a candy maker not liking candy.  You've got to know your craft.

I like to read. And I do read. I just don't always reach the back cover. So about two weeks ago I put a list of six books together. My logic behind the number six is that typically, it takes six weeks to establish habit, so why not six books? Make sense? I didn't think so either, but let's go with it.

Ok I lied. My list has six slots, but i have only four books on it, so I'll need help with the other two.

Here's what I have:

1. 'From the Earth to the Moon' by Jules Verne
2. 'The Old Man and the Sea' by Ernest Hemingway
3. The Stainless Steel Rat' by Harry Harrison
4. 'The Witches' by Roald Dahl
5.
6.

See? the last 2 slots are empty. I've had a lot of suggestions and here they are:

Life of Pi
Stranger in a Strange Land
Starship Troopers
Ender's Game
Pillars of the Earth
Boneshaker
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
The Phantom Tollbooth
Dragonlance
Dragonship
Anything by Stephen R. Donaldson (titles?)


Any other suggestions? I'll weed through them and narrow it down...then I'll let you vote.

2 comments:

  1. The World According to Garp by John Irving

    ReplyDelete
  2. For Donaldson, I recommend Mordant's Need. While it is not his most critically acclaimed work, it is far and away my favorite.

    ReplyDelete