04 February 2011

scratch one off the list.

'From the Earth to the Moon' by Jules Verne is complete. I must say, although it was entertaining, I wouldn't say that I enjoyed it. It was full of exaggerated characters and environments, which I do enjoy and also 'new' and exciting ideas. However, it was also filled to the brim with facts and figures. I understand that for the time in which the book was written, information gathering to that degree took work, and I commend and respect that.

I feel that the amount of facts and figures really do take away from the pacing of the story. It seemed to drag its feet and if you take out the facts and tangents, there's not too much to the actual story. Not much happened. And I compare this to 'Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea' and 'Around the World in 80 days' (which if you get a chance, the Jim Dale audio book of that is incredible)...things happen in those books. The plot has motion. And although the premise for the book was original (especially for one of the earliest pieces of sci-fi), I just didn't feel that 'From the Earth to the Moon' was as good as it could have been.

But regardless...one book down and a pat on the back for me (especially because I had to muscle through it).

And just a note: I don't think I'll read 'Around the Moon'...

1 comment: